So, I just got done having a wonderful communal dinner with my housemates--Anne, Jane, Leah, and Tom. 'Twas a lovely meal comprised of tacos and homemade guacamole. Anne is a Mexican food genius.
But, i guess I'll give a quick summary of my day...Earlier this morning, I had a Spanish grammar test that I totally rocked after having only 2 hours of sleep. Praise God.
After that, I went shopping with my Brazilian friends--Elaine, Jussier, Milton y Luisa-- and two of my housemates, Leah and Kayla. We went to the "outlets", but Los Porteños have nooooo concept of the actual meaning of the word outlet. Their idea of a sale was 799 to 1300 pesos. Yeah, that was not a sale...so I was unwilling to purchase the coat and boots that I desperately needed. Nevertheless, I had a brilliant time with some wonderful people. We went out to lunch at an overpriced restaurant. Consequently, we had empanadas--which is ALWAYS the solution if you want something cheap, delicious, and covered in fried dough. Then we took the bus to Cordoba y Scalabrini Ortiz para ir de compras. And, whilst walking in the street and not paying attention to where I was going, I tripped like a bazillion times--cause I'm just so darn graceful, right?!? But seriously, I trip on the sidewalk or on the stairs like all the time. The pavement is incredibly uneven, broken, and missing in many places. And since I never ever look at my feet and tend to walk backwards while looking with mouth agape into stores selling rows and rows of incredibly sinful pastries, it would be quite entertaining to follow me around for a day.
Just as an added benefit, I guess I'll share some interesting sights/facts that I saw/now know. Dogs walk around all over the city wearing sweaters--oddly enough, I saw some trees adorned with knitted sweaters as well. Havana is the Argentine version of Starbucks, and it is soooooo much better. Every single Porteños wears boots. Clothes supposedly on sale are more expensive then living room furniture. Milk and yogurt come in bags. And, all the girls wear skinny jeans...abut that's probably due to the fact that in the past week I have not see a single overweight person.
But, I'm off to bed now. I got about 4.5 hours of sleep within the last 48 hours. So I'm tired, but not as tired as I expected. I have had the BIGGEST energy high since coming here. I definitely don't go to bed before 3am, but then again, neither does the rest of the city...When in Romes, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment