Sunday, July 8, 2012
Ok. So my day was pretty darn fabulous--apart from the picture uploading. And, I know some of the pictures still look a bit misshapen, but I am too tired to care about fixing them anymore.
Early this morning--meaning 12:01 am--Jussier, Elaine, and Milton came over to our house. So Jane and I and the three Brazilians all played card games and talked until after 3am. We played "Spoons", which the Brazilians had never heard of but enjoyed very much. We played "Go Fish", which was ridiculous because we all talked in voices like a little valley girl would use (which we did because the card game was meant for children and we all needed to be in the right frame of mind to play a game meant for ninos). We played rummy. And, then we ALL told stories about out technology challenged parents/grandparents that call us and ask for help doing simple technological things. The story telling was my favorite part--especially because Elaine's father cannot figure out how to use the remote control for the television and he spends hours at a time trying to learn, all the while asking Elaine how to use the remote.
So the Brazilians left at like 3:10am. Then we all went to bed with the intention of meeting at 11am the next morning. Somehow, I woke up an hour before I had to leave and got ready. That was not the case with Jane--who slept in past noon.
Consequently, I walked to El Ateneo to meet 4 of my Brazilian friends (although, Luisa call themselves the Brazilian crew that I hand out with, haha). Luisa and I got there a little earlier then the other three, so we had some coffee y facturas (which are thiese sweet cressants). Then, when Elaine, Jussier, and Milton arrived, we got on a bus and headed to San Telmo Market. We just walked around in the random way that tourists do that have no intention of buying anything. But we really enjoyed ourselves. The Market was filled with glass antiques, vintage items from the 50's and 60', mate gourds, street performers (like statue people, a very convincing Jack Sparrow, a puppeteer, musicians, and tango dancers). Then, we all realized that we were starving. I was made fun of because I said I could eat the world the other night, and the Brazilians just thought that was hilarious. So, apparently, I was going to literally take a bite out of the world before we got to the restaurant...I wish I could have done that. But, 'twas not the case.
We went to this amazing Italian inspired little cafe on a side street. It was just so quaint and wonderful. I had the BEST bruschetta I have ever had in my entire life. And, I'm not just saying that. It was literally the best. Ok, picture this. Wonderfully thick and delicious toasted bread topped with vinegar and oil soaked tomatoes, black olives, and basil. Then I had two other pieces topped with fresh and slightly melted mozzarella cheese, grilled peppers, grilled sweet potatoes, and grilled eggplant. Yeah. It was pretty darn phenomenal. And apparently, all the other food that people got was amazing. Elaine said she got the best pizza she had ever eaten. And I tried some of the steak that the boys got--which was pretty tasty as well.
After the deliciousness that was our lunch, we headed to take the 29 bus to La Boca. It was quite a long bus ride, but it was only 1.25 pesos, so it was totally worth it. La Boca was pretty nifty. It was JAM PACKED with tourists from all over the world. There were people dancing all over the streets--I specifically noticed tango, paso doble, and this native Argentine dance. So, we basically just wandered around and took a bunch of pictures like the tourists we all all. So that was super fun, until we got on the bus to take us back to Recoletta (which is the barrio that we all live in). The bus driver was just horrendous. At one point during the ride, we all flew out of our seats and into the isle because the driver made this ridiculously, jerky, sudden stop. Nevertheless, we all made it home in one piece.
Then, when I got home, I ate some of my favorite food--that is the food made for bunnies to consume. It was some granola, Quaker oat cereal, dried fruit, nuts, yogurt, and bananas all mixed together in this delicious mesh of yumminess.
But, other than that, I was asking my friends all these questions about Brazil. And, from what Luisa described about the coastal area of Recife that she lives in, I now want to travel to Brazil so very badly.
And, it's safe to say that I caught the travel bug. I want to travel EVERYWHERE and ALL THE TIME.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment